• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes outbreaks linked to period?

I asked this same question in another thread but can't seem to find it. Hope you can help me out.

The thread mentioned that when a woman is on her period that it may or is more likely to cause a herpes outbreak. I just wanted someone to elaborate on that and find out if this is true and why it is true.

I ask because I haven't had a bad outbreak since my first... I have an IUD and don't get a period and usually theres no issue monthly but more recently I have been having bad cramps. I am trying to make some links and am thinking I may be having a period without any spotting. When the cramps occurred this month I had an outbreak. Also the cramps seem to last longer. So I am thinking that my outbreak may be linked to my "silent period" (that's what I call a period with no spotting lol).

THanks for your help in advance:)!

Hi dreamer!

Yes, many women in our community have said that their herpes outbreaks tend to show up around their period. This is because herpes outbreaks are caused in part by either stress on the body or the immune system being affected. During your period, your body is both stressed and the immune system is working overtime. So if you are in fact having a "silent period" your body is still working harder than it would be if you weren't having your period, and also increasing the physical stress your body is under, hence more likeliness to trigger a herpes outbreak.

Even more reason to take that much more care of yourself during times of stress, whether it be mental stress or the physical stress of a period. Good excuse to take that much better care of ourselves, eh? ;)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I have a mirena and it sure looks like i have an easier time of it then the women who have a period every month. I havnt cramped with mine though and I've had it since 2010. well in the beginning i did but i would still spot and stuff then. I have noticed that sometines when i work out really hard it does that but i was thinking it was just from exercising. im still not sure. But that's been my experience with it hope it helps.

• 2 years later...

I think this is true. When I have my period I notice I have an outbreak. I use to use pads and that kept the outbreak going longer I switched to tampons and that helped some, but I know use the mirena as a bc method and I don't have a period and I haven't had an outbreak since my period stopped..

• 1 month later...

Thanks for asking the question as I think this is what's happening to me in the last year or two also. Seems like I went from having an outbreak like every 6 months or so to now having an outbreak like every other month if not every month right around my period. I am pre~menopausal though so I've been thinking there's been a change in my hormones that all might be a factor.

Genital herpes does not influence your menstrual cycle. Your menstrual cycle is directed by hormones in your body and the herpes infection does not meddle with this procedure. Notwithstanding, a few ladies find that they will probably encounter a herpes episode amid their period.