• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Odds of a swabbed herpes test being wrong?

So... I know this is probably going to sound like an absolute long shot but at this time I feel as if it's worth asking.... What are the odds of a swab test coming back positive for HSV 2 when in actual fact it's Negative? Has this ever happened in the history of H? For those of you that don't know I was diagnosed with Oral HSV 2 from a swab but for some reason I have been thinking over the past couple of days I was misdiagnosed! I mean is there any other diseases that would have caused blisters in my throat? Clearly I am having a really hard time accepting my condition and I'm wondering if it is at all worth my while to get a blood test done as well? Maybe this is just all wishful and hopeful thinking but feeling as if I am currently the only one in the planet with Oral HSV 2 in throat is really starting to take it's tole on me. I feel as if I have 100000 questions and no one to get answers from! Also the photos on Google of Oral HSV 2 (Throat) look nothing like what I had experienced. Anyways call me crazy lol but any feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks Again

HV

To my knowledge the swabs are pretty accurate for Positive results - mainly because you are actually culturing (growing) the virus... you can get false negatives because the you can miss the virus - but if you get a positive it means they found the virus in the culture.

If it makes you feel better, get the blood test, but go for the PCR test - it will give you more accurate results because it looks for the DNA of the virus rather than antibodies...