• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Risk of oral to genital HSV 1 transmission? Help!

I recently experienced my first oral HSV 1 outbreak. I've never had a cold sore before and have been very contentious about treating it properly and it seems to be healing quickly. I'd say it's probably less than 1/2 the size of a pencil's eraser and has not cracked or wept for 3 or so days, only light bleeding when the scab falls off. Last night I (foolishly) engaged in both oral and vaginal sex with my partner and I can't help but worry that in doing so, I put the both of us at risk for developing genital HSV 1. The statistics I've read online have not been the most helpful in helping me assess the risk of transmission. I know that it is possible to pass HSV 1 during an outbreak, but does that include when a cold sore is basically healed? I'm going absolutely crazy trying to assuage some of the guilt I have over making that decision and I'm hoping for some guidance!

@vnb...

First - welcome! Glad to meet you!

I have to say its really hard to tell at this point. Hopefully you had stopped shedding and were just in the healing phase, but there is no way to know. Does your partner understand the risk of transmission?

And do you know where you got your HSV1 from? If you got hit from him, then he is less likely to get it back genitally. You may want to both go get blood tested for HSV - if he comes up positive at this stage, you got the oral from him and the odds are once you have developed your immunity that it won't be passed around any more.

Wish I could give you better info but it's so hard to tell how each person will shed and/or fight it off if exposed.

(((HUGS)))