• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Sore Throat & Oral Herpes HSV 2

I woke up this morning with a sore throat & I immediately assumed that I was having my second Oral HSV 2 OB. I have been checking my throat all day with a flashlight and no lesions have appeared my throat just looks red. My glands aren't swollen & I don't have a fever. I have been taking Advil etc for pain. My question is.... Is it possible that I am just experiencing a sore throat? I don't want to take Valtrex just for the sake of taking it & I don't remember my first OB which was only like 5 weeks ago even being this painful & sore. This Oral HSV 2 is so confusing as there isn't much info on it & supposedly is so rare. :( Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks

HV

Given that none of us have oral HSV2, we can't speak from experience...BUT I would suggest you take the Valtrex for 2 days and see if it helps. If it's the virus, you should get a pretty quick response. If not, or it gets worse, you need to get checked for strep if it's that bad...

That's my suggestion... just going on what I would tell someone if they had a similar issue down south with either variety ;)

Thanks @WCSDancer2010 I went to the clinic this morning.... Doctor walks in and says so your here about a throat problem? I said yes about 5 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Oral HSV 2 then he made a face that made me want to cry. I told him that I am experiencing another sore throat and don't know if it's related to the Oral HSV 2 or not. Sure enough he just had a look and said my throat looked red. Then he said since I have already been diagnosed with Oral HSV 2 for me to take a super dose of Valtrex 4 pills am and 4 pills pm. Have you heard of this before? I'm still convinced that I only actually have a sore throat currently but this is all so new to me and I much prefer playing on the safer side of the fence. I don't have any lesions but the doctor said the super dose will stop them from appearing if that is what in actual fact is taking place. I just don't want to be popping Valtrex at any sign of a sore throat but maybe that's a symptom for me?

I have been drinking lots of red wine, eating chocolate and been an anxious mess over the holiday. I've stopped the wine and chocolate now but I am still have anxiety issues! Does anyone have an suggestions for anxiety? I have a consultation with a light therapist next week I have heard it has done wonders for people.... Anyone tried it?

Thanks!

HV

Personally, I would say try it, see if the pills work. You will know pretty quickly. If so, you can use that as your guide for awhile. After a few months, if it seems to have settled down, try going without the pills.

I rarely have OB's any more but if I am pretty sure I may be having one I just pop a couple acyclovir and treat it topically (I use Ammonium Alum) and I haven't had a major outbreak in years... but I've had it for much of my life.

Light therapy is great for depression. I have a light myself - the Fall is usually hard for me and it helps me through.

Regarding anxiety.... #1 - as I understand it (not being a Dr...perhaps Dr_h_Positive can chime in) an anxiety attack can only last about 20 minutes...the body can't keep it up for any longer. So if you are dealing with that kind of thing, perhaps you can learn to ride it out knowing that it's just a passing thing...

For every day low level anxiety, well, Anxiety is basically worrying about all the things that *could* go wrong. But if you look back on all the things you worried about in the past, I'll bet 99% never came true. So when you start to worry, can you stop yourself and ask "Is this an immediate thing i need to really worry about, an if so is there anything I can do NOW to fix it?". If the answer is yes, then do what you need to to get things back in order. If the answer is no, then try to figure out why you are so attached to worrying about it. You see, we humans LOVE to feel things "should" be a particular way, and if it doesn't go our way, we get anxious, angry, frustrated, etc. When you can get to the bottom of that (and it takes practice and possibly coaching from someone like Adrial) THEN you can learn to let it go. Learning to let go of attachment is probably one of the biggest changes I have experienced in my life.

(((HUGS)))