• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Please help: Diagnosed with herpes yesterday

I was just diagnosed yesterday and to be honest I am freaking out. I have so many questions and worries that I don't even know where to start. I am in my first outbreak and it's awful, but I started meds right away. My doc (and other things I have read so far) have been saying "it's not the end of the world", but that's exactly how I am feeling right now. How can this really be happening to me?! I am so pissed and upset I can't handle it. I don't even want to look at anyone because even though they don't know, I am ashamed. My boyfriend of over 2 years was with me when I was diagnosed so at least he already knows, but that is a whole other story. Did I get it from him or did I give it to him?? Will he stay with me knowing what's wrong with me? UGHHH. I am so overwhelmed by this news and I joined this site to talk to others who are also going through the same thing to help. I feel really alone and awful right now. :(

We've all been where you are right now. Some of us, not that long ago.

Take a deep breath. The first OB is a real pain in the arse, but it gets better. We're all going down the same road and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

For now, get educated about the virus. Get to know it and how it's affecting your body. Learn the ways you can live with it and manage it. You and your boyfriend should study up on it together and he should also get tested to see if he already has it. 80% of people who do have it never know or show symptoms, so it is possible.

It can also lay dormant for many years before it pops up. If your boyfriend doesn't already have it, then it's something you've had since before you met him. Likewise, even if he does test positive, he might have had it before he met you. This virus is that insidious and you need to be careful of falling into the "you gave this to me" trap that so many couples in your position fall into. Go slow, get educated, stay calm, and you'll stay together.

We all know you feel lonely. We all do at times, virally enhanced or not. I know it's little consolation as you look at the blisters, but 1 in 4 women in America have HSV2. 8 in 10 have HSV1. You are far from alone.

There's nothing wrong with you. Just because you have the herps doesn't detract from your value as a woman, as a lover, or as a person. If you let it, it will transform you into a person who is sexier, more confident, more compassionate, and stronger than anyone you know.

glitter:

First: Welcome... Glad you found us. The is a wonderful place to get support as you adjust to the idea of having Herpes.

I'll be honest. Your Doc is right. It isn't the end of the world. But I get it that right now it FEELS like it....thanks to the unwarranted stigma put on it in our society. But take it from someone who has had this for over 35 years ... you can and will be ok and it WILL get better :)

You may never know who got it from who - It may be that you have had it all along and just not had an obvious outbreak. In which case your BF may not have it. He needs to get tested ASAP so you can figure out if you want/need to use supressive drugs.

You can read and print out these documents that Adrial has supplied here and go over them with your BF.

Handouts:

http://bit.ly/h-opp-diagnosis-handout

http://bit.ly/h-opp-disclosure-handout

Disclosure e-book:

http://eepurl.com/b4IPP

There is a whole bunch of great info on here - read as much as you can, and come back when you have questions.... and BREATHE. I promise, things WILL be ok..

(((HUGS)))

You may never know who got it from who - It may be that you have had it all along and just not had an obvious outbreak. In which case your BF may not have it. He needs to get tested ASAP so you can figure out if you want/need to use supressive drugs.

1 in 4 have it and if you live in a big city like NY, SF or Chicago that number is probably a lot higher. It is what it is.