• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Questioning herpes test results

Sorry if this is really long but I'm utterly clueless and scared of all of this. I have what I think is my first genital outbreak. Red bumps on and in my vagina and a cluster of blisters between my buttcheeks. It was inflamed to about 2 1/2-3 times the normal size and burned so bad when I peed that I would cry. I couldn't sit down without being extremely cautious. It itched for maybe a couple days before turning into pain every time anything touched it.

I have been out of the country and went to the nearest hospital and told the doctor how they appeared after having used new soap and deodarant down there so he first looked at it as an allergic reaction. I also informed them that I had sex without a condom recently. He then called the gyno in who took one look and said it was genital herpes. It felt like I had the life sucked out of me. He prescribed me about two week's worth of oral pills and a cream to put down there. The pills and cream have run out but the bumps that opened and blistered are still visible and the buttcheek blisters now look like a bad rash. The itching had never stopped but he also gave me pain pills that helped cure the swelling and inflammation and I am now able to walk and sit down somewhat comfortably again.

The doctors did 3 types of tests on me for HSV and all came back negative.. Is that possible? I have been nonstop googling what herpes is, feels and looks like and I feel like this must be what I have. Has anyone heard of negative results? Or how long I should wait/if there's a certain time I should go to get re-tested? I am 99% sure I have genital herpes, especially because the outbreak started just a few days after having sex with a new partner but since the results were all negative I'm too embarassed/scared to ask him.

My friend got something similar about three months ago and he tested negative. But its best to ask your partner about it regardless of your symptoms. It would help a lot with the anxiety you are having. I know there are some other things out there besides herpes that could cause similar symptoms but I am not an expert that field.

Anyhow this is the best site for finding answers on herpes.

newtothis122013

i didnt see where mentioned how long it had been since you had sex. if it was less than 3 months, then its likely too soon to tes. lso, get a copy of all your lab results and look at the numbers. Some doctors say a person is negative the # is close to negative guideline.

Ex. on the Igm greater than 1.0 by guidelines is considered positive. some doctors doesnt see it that way. say if ur # was 1.4, some will call that negative and others would say positve.

there is really only 1 test for hsv that is considered to be 99.99% accurate. That is the Western Blot. it is not readily done everywhere. you have to research in your area which doctors will order it and labs that run it. i will pray you dont have it.

I have had confusing results from 3 different doctors so my next step is to seek out an infectious disease doctor, I nope this helps

Aimee

@newtothis

First - Welcome! Glad you have found us!

You say you are out of the country? I wonder then about their testing. Where are you located?

If you were only exposed a few days earlier then blood tests are no good - you have not built up enough antibodies for a positive/conclusive result.

Did they do a swab culture? That is the only way you can get a reliable result right now - they would have opened a blister and got some of the fluid on a cotton swab and sent it off for a culture.

Either way you do need to talk to your partner. Read all you can first ...best place to start is with the Handouts and E-Book that Adrial has provided here:

Handouts:

http://bit.ly/h-opp-diagnosis-handout

http://bit.ly/h-opp-disclosure-handout

Disclosure e-book:

http://eepurl.com/b4IPP

You may even want to print them out for him. He may well believe he has been tested but most STD tests don't include Herpes.... so either way he want's to get that done for his own info.

We are here to support you..... come back whenever you have questions, need to rant, or just talk :)

(((HUGS)))

Thank you all! Do any of you have a suggestion of how long I should wait until I get tested again for more accurate results?

Aimee, I am definitely going to do some research and find a place nearby me when I get home that will do a Western Blot test on me. I became inflamed and irritated within hours of having sex for the first time with my new partner for the next several days. About 5 days after that, I came down with severe flu-like symptoms. My usual doctor said she saw a bump but didn't consider it herpes because I had recently been tested and those results were all negative. She concluded I had a yeast infection and put me on medication for that as well as a z-pack. I left the following day to go out of the country and that's when the bumps and blisters began to show (so about a week from having sex with him)

@WCSDancer2010 -

They did a blood test and a swab culture. Results from the microscopy came back negative for IgM and IgG for HSV1 and HSV2 and the swab culture showed "Absent" in all fields and a '4' on the nugent score. The aerobic culture stated a mixed growth of organisms was obtained with no dominant organism and no typical genital pathogen was detected.

And thank you for the links! It's been easy keeping the information from him since I've been out of the country but I head back in a few days so I know I need to sit down with him and explain everything that I just went through.

@newtothis:

You will want to wait 4-6 months for the bloodwork (serology) test unless you have full blisters with an OB... in which case, get in ASAP and get a swab culture.

IGM results are a mixed bag at best.... odds are you were too early for either test to be conclusive.

My usual doctor said she saw a bump but didn't consider it herpes because I had recently been tested and those results were all negative.

If you told your Dr you just had a new partner and she assumed you were ok, she needs a damn good kick up the arse..... that's EXACTLY when I would be most suspicious of anyone with those symptoms ... :p