• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Who gives doctors/nurses their degrees nowadays?

Okay...so as my story continues to get better on this forum....(sarcasm there)...

I will start by saying I am absolutely beside myself at how dumb doctors and nurses are! No offense to anyone out there. But seriously, I was diagnosed back in July 2012, in which I had gotten a blood test for HIV. I thought I had also gotten one for herpes too, guess not. Apparently my doctor diagnosed me just by the look down below because when I called today to ask if I had HSV 1 or 2, just to be sure, the nurse informed me that my chart showed no such blood test and so I requested that I wanted one done if I didnt have one. She said she would talk to the doctor and get back to me. She called me back and said "the doctor said there is no need for a blood test. you were diagnosed with severe genital herpes back in july 2012. herpes 2 is genitally and 1 is orally." WTF!? where did she go to school? And I didnt want to argue with my doctors nurse so then she asks "why do u want it? are you having problems?" Well thats none of her business.. I need so I know what info to tell when telling partners and she said either one is highly transmittable. Okay..this nurse for 1. does not know what she is talking about and for 2. made me feel even worse before calling her. she sounded totally rude just saying "severe genital herpes"...made me feel dirty..idk..and how are you going to deny me a blood test!? Like I am going to my Gyno at the end of January anyways so I will just ask her for a blood test I thought/should have had almost 2 yrs ago, but seriously...

I feel like the more I bring it up the more it becomes an issue. I was ok with it until I disclosed recently and got rejected. Tried to tell my dad and got practically yelled at. And tried to call the doctor/nurse about it who were complete idiots. Ugh .

Are you on some kind of health insurance plan? Some of them discourage testing to save money that's why they act like they don't give a damn. You are right they are idiots. Others don't know how to do anything until they actually try it for the first time on you.

"the doctor said there is no need for a blood test. you were diagnosed with severe genital herpes back in july 2012. herpes 2 is genitally and 1 is orally."

So did you have an oral Ob at the time too? If not, then there is no reason (besides statistically) to assume you have Oral HSV1.

I would go to your OBGYN, get the blood test then send the results to him...especially if his "assumption" is incorrect.

And you could print out the diagnosis handouts and take some to him AND your OBGYN to give to their clients who are diagnosed with Herpes...so they can come here and get the correct info :) http://bit.ly/h-opp-diagnosis-handout

No. I didn't have oral outbreaks. Just genital. And all he did was look down there and diagnose me because it was so bad since the first idiot doctor I went to said he didn't see anything so it ended up spreading really bad llike in 2 days.

And whether to save money or what not, if I requested one then don't tell me there's no need. If someone comes in for an STD test would they say theres no need? Probably not.

simplyme24,

I totally understand your frustration with doctors/nurses. i still dont have clear cut answer for me but here a part of my story you can relate to.

Day before Thansgiving, i go to the E.R: with intense lower back and lower left side abominal pain. keep in my im still in the diagnosis phase for hsv, They are getting ready to release me, turns out i had an ovarian on my right ovary that was 7cms. I ask the E.R. doctor to check the system to see if the labs my ob/gyn ordered the week before were in. So comes back and says, "just one; positve for HSV" i break down horribly right there. As My mom walks in, ( keep in my mind if i was H positive, i wasnt going to tell anyone in my family) that stupid, idiotic nurse says to me, " i dont understand what you are upset for, its not like you are dying" I told that nurse she pretty much had less than a second to get out my room before i killed her. Soooo, stupid. My mom is best friends with the head of that hospital. we filed a complaint for violating my HIPA rights and her unbelievable behavior. i got formal appology from that nusre and she was suspended for a month without pay.

the ignorance of the medical world. I like ob/gyn but he didnt even now that its a criminal offense in Louisiana & 36 other states to with hold status of having a communicable disease from potiential partners. So i feel you, girlfriend.

If you have ever worked in an emergency room or been part of a heart transplant operation you will often hear some of the most obscene\foul mouthed name calling against any nurse that show any incompetence or lack of urgency. Some of the nurses start to take on the same hard edged behavior. The docs need to stay impersonal/nonemotional in that situation or the patient could die. But that is no excuse for the nurses insensitive behavior in a lab. Training is everthing.