• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Question for the guys or women with herpily endowed partners

My OB's occur right on the foreskin. I have heard that friction can cause an OB. This presents somewhat of a problem as, well, a little friction is what sets the Big O off.

I went rounds with a well lubed Five Finger Sal last week to celebrate the end of my first OB, and well, Bam! welcome back cooties. The prospect of having an OB every time I have sex or schedule a scrimmage has got me a little concerned right now.

My question is if any of you have experienced a post-orgasm OB, and if you have, is there a way to shut it down before it starts?

HTH - You DO make me laugh!

Yes - friction will set it off but over time it WILL settle down. What you may do is if you are not on Valtrex, take one before or right after you have sex - see if that helps. Maybe wash the area well and make an Epsom Salt solution that will help dry thing sup (and the salts kill viruses). If you ARE on Valtrex, maybe you can take an extra one around that time.

Not sure it that will help, but it's worth a try ;)

I was told by a dermatologist that if you use somthing with acetone in it like clear finger nail polish remover on the area that starts tingling that the virus will die instantly so the outbreak will not have a chance to break out. This works for lips or external skin areas, obviously not for internal use

This sounds like familiar story found online

PJ from Gold Coast, Queensland Australia: "Hi,, I only found your site last week, and was very very interested to read what others suffering with H2,had found to be beneficial, then as luck or not would have it, i had an OB, stress driven i think, i take a valtrex daily, multi-vite, and try to eat healthy, etc ,, normally my OB'S take up to 4-8 days to fade and go away , but i feel dirty and out of sorts, it is really a strange feeling, anyway i tried the acetone nail polish remover,, dabbed it onto the dam thing,3-4 times a day ,, bought a bottle of lysine, threw back about 3 grams a day, and doubled my valtrex for 3 days, and ill tell you, it started to fade the next day , smoothed out, and started to shrink, i can only really put it down to the acetone nail polish remover, didnt sting, but tingled a bit,, who ever thought that up,, give them a medal, you need the preventative stuff for sure, but when OB happen, use the nail polish remover,, dam good stuff"EC: OB = Outbreak -

Alright, I'll take PJ's suggestion and get a bottle. Honestly though, this last OB went away in 4 days from first blister to finish. Of course, I'm getting tingling AGAIN which has got me wanting to give this a try just in case. Does anyone else get tingling as their OB's come to a close, or is this what I fear it is?

God, I can't believe I'm having to do this 2 days before Christmas! And, I have to be honest that in this very moment I'm not feeling a lot of love or Christmas cheer for the gal who gave this to me. I'm trying my best not to get bitter over the next few days. As long as I keep telling myself it's just a skin rash that will settle down in time, I just might accomplish that. But, right now if I saw her the conversation would not be pleasant.

I think we all go through an anger phase - especially if we have several outbreaks in a row. It gets wearing and it's scary to think this could keep happening. But you know from your HSV1 experience, the body DOES eventually regain control.

I wonder if your tingling elsewhere is the nerves just reacting because you have the shingles as well - sorta like a sympathetic reaction when the antibodies start kicking up?

(((HUGS)))

Ill be brutally honest

It is what you fear it is. Sorry.

You are going to get it a lot for awhile after the first outbreak but they will slow down in a few months.

I know I had to do the same thing and so does every other poor sucker that got this stuff

Don't forget the tea tree oil too.

So I tried to look this up, but am still not sure I can add much real value to this thread. I did find this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20731556, which may be better evidence for the idea that you can find a journal article someone can interpret in support of anything than for the value of acetone in treating herpes sores, but there it is anyway. What this paper did is make an in vitro viral bio-assay, like a big grid of tiny petri dishes, and measure the effect of a bunch of plant extracts on the level at which the viruses were able to still synthesize their structural proteins. Eventually a certain dose of acetone did kill the virus. (A therapeutic index of 50 means that the lethal dose of acetone for half the "population" of herpes tested, divided by the minimum effective dose necessary to produce a reduction in protein synthesis for 50% of the population = 50). However, no in vivo trials have ever been done (ie no humans or animals were harmed in this production), and in large part the mechanism of action here is probably that acetone dries out the skin in general. There may well be reputable dermatologists who by observation or experience swear by acetone for prodrome tingling or even blisters, but there's no science out there that a physician could use to make a recommendation more or less supportable than his/her personal opinion.

I personally have no experience with this so if y'all do decide to try this for your next OB I'd be interested to hear what you think. I don't think there is much risk of doing harm by trying this home remedy but be careful of getting acetone in your eyes. Acetone is water soluble and also quite a small molecule so it does get absorbed by your skin, but by the magic that is organic chemistry it won't do what it does to plastic or styrofoam - otherwise my nail art habit would be much less sustainable.

@HerryTheHerp - If you don't mind my asking, when you had shingles where did you break out?

Two things

One fnp remover is dirt cheap so nobody is going to spend any money advertising it. Also the treatment is most effective right in the beginning before the virus has a chance to replicate. So you really have to be in touch with the tingling to get it fast. Should prob keep a bottle with you all the time.

Two. I got shingles a few months ago and it spread around the top of my butt. The real pain was the tip of my tail bone. Doc said there is no cure. Just something to relieve the pain.

Well, the big question is how will this handle a mucous membrane like a foreskin. Legs, thighs, and butts are considerably different than the skin on the wee willy winky. Ok, it's not so wee willy (as she kept reminding me ;) ) but still, I'm a little hesitant to put a chemical such as acetone on him. Yes, I'm pissed off at him something fierce right now for getting me into this mess, but I don't want to torture him any more than I have to. He stood up and apologized this morning. We came to a truce. He doesn't sleep with anymore women who don't know their status, and I don't beat him when I'm watching Baywatch. I go pouring acetone on him and that might just be considered a declaration of war that I don't want to fight right now.

I can assure you, I won't be trying acetone any time soon. To each his own of coure...But one remedy I was given recently came from a woman I met on this site who has dealt with H for a while, and it's AWESOME! Works REALLY well for me. It's a homemade mixture of coconut oil and tea tree oil. Heat it very gently in a pot and then add about 20 drops of tea tree oil to 100mls of oil. Store in airtight container and let mixture cool (it will become solid again). Scrape a piece off and rub into affected area. This last outbreak, as soon as I even THOUGHT I was going to get my little blistery visitors, I applied it liberally, and this outbreak was VERY mild. In fact, only one tiny blister that opened right away and was gone within 4 days!!! No pain with this, no stinging, and no interruption in creative and fun exploration! I like that it's natural enough that if I do accidentally get some near my urethral or vaginal opening, it will not cause me as much concern as acetone would. Best wishes!

Aerial has the winner. I'm going to try that before I reach for the paint thinner. Aerial, my winky and I thank you for the suggestion.

How about storage? Room temp or in the fridge? What's the viscosity like? Is it smooth and somewhat easy to apply or should I heat it up a little to make it easier to spread around?

How many times did you apply it? Once or every day the blister was around?

I'll give it a try asap. It's going to be hard finding the ingredients where I am, but it sounds very appealing so I'll pull out all the stops and let you all know what transpires. I never thought praying for my Christmas miracle would involve coconut oil and tea tree oil. Well, I'll save world peace and season tickets for next year.