• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes has triggered HIV anxiety

I have recently been diagnosed with HS1 through a culture swab, after about a week and the initial shock, I decided the do some research. What I found has scared me to death, everytime I found a forum about herpes it always related it to HIV, since then I obsess that maybe I have the deadly virus, which I have no signs of, I was tested for it about a year ago and it came back negative I plan on getting tested again in soon, I just have to find the courage. I'm 19 and have a daughter, I want to watch her grow and be there for every part of her life. Has anyone else felt anxiety like this before?

First - welcome to the Forum Bellavita. We are here to support you and you have found a great place to get your questions answered.

I'm going to cut straight to the point. There is a LOT of crap out there regarding HSV. So be careful what sources you are looking at. The CDC, WebMD, Westoverheights Clinic, and this site are the only ones I will look at for accurate information.

So the truth is yes, HSV gives you a *slightly* higher risk of getting HIV simply because if you are having an outbreak (ie, open sores) and you have sex with someone with HIV, you have opened an easier pathway for the HIV virus to get in. However, there is no reason to believe the two go hand in hand. All it means now is you have even more reason to make sure your partner has been tested recently for ALL STD's. The good thing is HIV is one that they always test for in an STD assay.

If you have not been tested for HIV since you picked up the HSV virus, then you want to go in and have a FULL STD series done (you will have to ask for HPV and Chlamydia - they don't do them OR HSV in the regular assays). If you just got the HSV virus tho, it may be too early for the other diseases to show up ... ask the Dr when you call about that.

Otherwise... don't panic. There's a good chance you are fine. Do the tests to put your mind at ease and so you know for any future relationships.

(((HUGS)))

Is there any logical reason why herpes is not included in regular blood tests? I never knew that. Every time I would go in for my annual exam, I would usually do a standard blood test. I never had anything abnormal come up until the day I was given my results for H, but it is mind boggling to me that unless you ask for it, they won't check for it. Wouldn't this make sense that since most people 'have it' and don't know they have it? Any logical explanation for this?

Hey Bellavita,

WCS is on it. HIV and HSV have absolutely NOTHING in common with each other only that having sex during herpes outbreaks (which you wouldn't do anyway) leave your body more physically vulnerable to the HIV virus entering your body. And the same is true if you get a bikini wax, too, so if that's the only reason you think you may have HIV, then you probably don't have it.

And go ahead and just get tested for peace of mind's sake. It's amazing how we can avoid going to get the test and hang out in limbo not knowing one way or another, but at least when we get the definitive test, we can know definitively and then handle whatever the results are. Knowing the truth is always better than worrying one way or the other in the gray void of not knowing.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Hey abc,

The reason why herpes blood tests aren't part of the regular STD check procedure is because if you're within that 3-4 month window of time that the herpes antibodies are building up in the bloodstream, but aren't yet at high enough levels to be detectable, then the blood test will come back "negative" when actually you do have herpes. Blood tests are much more expensive than swabbing an active outbreak and testing the swab, so most insurance won't cover blood tests across the board. Also, the medical community pretty much agrees that herpes just isn't a big deal medically. It really is just an annoying skin condition when it comes down to it. It doesn't cause any actual health problems like all the other STDs, hence it's not seen as a health risk. The baby they throw out with the bathwater there is that even though it's not a physical health risk, it's a psychological risk because of the sexual stigma associated with it. But the medical field seems to gloss over that part of it.

The annoying thing that I'd like to see change is for them to specifically say that they aren't testing for herpes (even if you request to be tested for "everything"). So many people receive an "all clear" from their STD tests, but the test doesn't include herpes unless you specifically ask for it. There are a lot of people out there who think they are totally clear, when behind the scenes they are unwittingly carriers of HSV. 15-20% of people never have an actual herpes outbreak, while many people are in denial that herpes outbreaks are actually just jock itch or an ingrown hair. This is a big reason why 80% of people who have herpes don't know it!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

@adrial "the baby they throw out with the bath water" is that a saying or like there is something they say about some risks with bathwater and babies? I'm confused. Speaking of babies and bathwater, if I find someone to accept me and love me and I get to be a mom which has always been my one true goal and want out of life, if that happens, can I take baths with my baby? Like is it okay to put my baby in the tub with me? Idk, I know I took baths with my parents as a little young baby/kid, which I don't think is uncommon to put them in there with you. Is that safe?

Yes. "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" is a saying. :)

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/Don't+throw+the+baby+out+with+the+bathwater

lol, I'll be more careful about the sayings I use. And defeated, read up on how herpes is passed here (skin-to-skin friction, not bathwater-to-skin):

http://herpeslife.com/how-can-you-get-herpes/

Helpful resources: