• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Camu camu: Superfruit antiviral that could help with herpes?

First I want everyone to know that i come to you all to share this with love and the best of intentions. I was diagnosed August 2013 and since then I have tried 10+ supplements and creams, including prescription antivirals. Nothing seemed to work and for weeks now i have had an OB back to back. I have always been a hippie chick and preferred natural supplements as opposed to conventional medicines, because i have lost so many family members to side effects of medicine. With that being said, i completely understand that everything doesn't work for everyone but just the same, i was so excited to share this with other people . I went from a rip roaring outbreak two days ago to absolutely no itching and no tingling today by taking a supplement called Camu Camu, which is a superfruit that has tons of vitamin c in it. Yall i swear it has been a Godsend in my life. It is a supplement that is made by various companies so if you should decide to try it make sure you do some research to make sure youre getting a quality product. This is the first time since August since i felt normal. I learned about camu camu years ago and how it was the best thing for the immune system. Get this its not only good for your immune system but your mood too. I hope someone finds this helpful as i have.

Guys im not trying to get you to buy a specific product or endorse a product, i just wanted to know if anyone else has tried it and if so, did you have the same results and if you havent i encourage you to do your own research on it and find a manufacturer that is trusted to buy from. I will tell you i have taken 1000mgs 4x a day for the past two days and got the results. Please remember everyones body is diffrent so you may or may not get results i have. I pray that you will though

Here's an article I found on HuffPost about it. Looks pretty cool! This is the first I've heard about it. Thanks for sharing and welcome, SCherette! http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/07/25/camu-camu-benefits-_n_3644392.html

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

If anyone tries this with the same results as me, please check back with us and let us know if it worked for you. Adrial, im in tears right now cause i just read your post and the article. Just to know that we may be able to help someone makes me feel like im kickin this viruses butt. It removes the darkness that surrounds it, that has surrounded me these past few months. Im so thankful for this site

So my initial research has found that:

Noone really knows yet much about the real benefits (I can't seem to find any documented studies of any merit) ie, except that it is very high in Vit C. However it is pretty expensive too so if that ends up being the "magic bullet" in it, there are much less expensive ways to get Vit C.

At present it seems most is wild harvested. There are two issues with wild harvesting that I know of -

(1) quality control (making sure the product has an agreed minimum % of the active ingredients (vitamins, minerals, etc) that makes it unique. Thus one supplier may have 1000IU of Vit C and another only 500 - which is important to know not only because of correct dosing but also potential overdosing of certain elements. For instance, the Vit C content of Camu Camu (and who knows about all the other AI's) drops dramatically as it matures so it needs to be harvested at a critical point when the AI's are at their peak. So be sure to get your camu camu from a REPUTABLE supplier who will make sure that the product is stable from one batch to the next and preferably who will state how much of the active ingredient is in each capsule/tbsp/whatever and who is knows for impeccable quality control. Not all nutritional supplement companies are created equal :/

(2) Wild Harvesting can threaten a local population because of over harvesting. :(

It *seems* that it contains a lot of great nutrients that are likely missing in our diets today - several amino acids and flavinoids, all of which are great additions to the diet. Hopefully more will come out about this as the nutritional supplement producers get on board..

One thing - I didn't see it on any of the suppliers that I use (Herb Pharm and New Chapter are two of my favorites) ... I know they don't just jump on any new band wagon so I will be watching them to see if they start offering it :)