• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Do I have herpes?

Guest [Deleted User]

So I got a blood test last Wednesday 7-25-2012 today is now Tuesday 7-31-2012, my results came up negative on all counts including genital and oral, but shortly maybe a day or two after I had cold sores break out on my lips... small red bumps some appeared with a red rash on the skin. Now today I have a red bump on my crotch that is slightly painful when I touch it. I spoke with some one on the phone about my tests they said its not Herpes simply because I didn't even have an index that lead towards antibodies. Let me know your guys input thanks

Hey Badlarry,

Simply based on your explanation, it sounds like herpes to me. I've heard of many cases of false negatives, unfortunately. And it's normally due to getting the test too soon after exposure. The test needs time in order for the antibodies to build up in your system to be at detectable levels. Do you know when you might have been exposed to herpes or no?

Here's a quote from the ASHA message boards: “The challenge here is that the time it takes for IgG antibodies to reach detectable levels after initial infection can vary from person to person. For one person, it could take just a few weeks, while it could take a few months for another. So even with the accurate tests, a person could receive a false negative if the test is taken too soon after contracting the virus. For the most accurate test result, it is recommended to wait 12 – 16 weeks from the last possible date of exposure before getting an accurate, type-specific blood test in order to allow enough time for antibodies to reach detectable levels. False positives are rare with type-specific blood tests when used in this manner.”

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

My current girlfriend... going to see her today actually and tomorrow I see the dermatologist to confirm everything and possibly get treated for it.

Oh, so you're saying you know your current girlfriend has herpes? If that's the case, then it sounds like what you have is herpes and wouldn't be treatable via a dermatologist. Just keep the area dry and clean and allow it to heal. I would go back to the clinic now that it sounds like you're having an active outbreak instead of the dermatologist so they can swab the rash and test it directly. Then they'll be able to give you a prescription for an antiviral.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Well I am not 100% positive that she does but shes the only person I have had sex with in months. I just recently started dating her as well. It only makes sense that if I got it, it was from her. I will be totally honest with you though, if I do have herpes I don't care really. They are just small red bumps its not going to kill me. I am also a strength trainer and a body builder so I can keep my self healthy and hopefully keep it at bay. but like I said for some reason I really don't care that much.

See, this is where it gets dicey. When I got herpes from my partner, it took about 4 years before I had my first outbreak. Yep, 4 years. So, it is possible that you've had this virus in your body lying dormant for years and it's only coming up now. And it's just as possible that your girlfriend has herpes and gave it to you. Is your girlfriend planning on getting the IgG test, too?

Helpful resources:

Well I had a feeling I got something from her about a week after sex. I had some pain in my crotch etc. I now realize she puts cover up on her cold sores as well thats why I never saw them until recently. Also I might add that i do have HPV not to sure if its easy to confuse the a wart and a sore.

Dude the people you spoke to on the phone didn't have a clue, but hey that's pretty normal anyways. I got a herpesSelect 4 months after contracting this (first OB 3-4 days after contracting it) and the test was negative, so some people can take a very long time to seroconvert.

If she has cold sores she can give you GHSV1, you shouldn't let her give you oral while she has them