• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Can HSV-1 genital also happen on my lip?

Hi ,

yes you can have both, actually i have both(on my mouth and genital ).Why you think you have both(any symptoms??)? Actually 80 percent of all people have HSV 1 and not all of them have ever had an outbreak,so it could be that you really only have it genital but not on your mouth, even if you never showed an outbreak on your moth you never will know for sure because everybody (80-90 % so nearly everyone ) have it.dont worry about that because only 90 percent of all human cant answer the question... they all dont know :)

Yes, you can have HSV-1 on your lip, too. The only way you will know is if you have an oral herpes outbreak, though. The spot that you had initial contact with herpes (genital or oral, for example) is generally the spot where it stays, unless you got exposed to herpes in both spots (which is what happened to me; I gave oral sex and had genital sex in one fell swoop). It's hard to auto-inoculate (spread herpes from one place on your body to another) if you do the basics like wash your hands with water after you touch an active outbreak.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I actually don't know where he has it since he's never had an outbreak. I just assumed he had it on his mouth and just didn't know. Also ive been reading that if you have genital hsv1 then it comes from oral sex. I figured since we kissed more than he gave me oral sex then it would be likely that I have it in both places.

My understanding is you *usually* get it one place or the other, but not both unless you got it on both at the exact same time because once you've had it, your body tries to build up immunity which makes it harder to take a hold in the other area. But Herpes doesn't seem to play by any hard and fast "rules" so there *is* a possibility you could have it in both places....

On the other hand, you could hit the jackpot and have HSV1 on your lip and HSV2 on your genitals because they are two different types... :p