• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Ladies: Thongs, shaving and herpes

So I know this is probably not what I should be concerned about but I need to get over it and go back to living normally and normally I wear thongs all the time can I still wear them will they trigger an outbreak and if I do wear it what precaution should I take. Also I want to shave but I'm really scared is if bad to shave what should I use and how can not irritate myself I'm scared

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't want to wear a thong during an outbreak (OWWEEEEEE!) but I don't see why you can't wear it between outbreaks, unless you notice a pattern where you get rubbed by the thong and it triggers an outbreak.

Regarding shaving - I think I saw that it is believed shaving can make it easier to pass on as the hair can act as a cushion (as it were) so you don't git as much direct skin to skin contact. Don't know how much it changes the statistics though.

Hey Sab! I wear thongs during the day, every day, and haven't had any problems wearing them. I also shave pretty much every day and haven't had any issues with that either. So I guess it just depends on the person. I wouldn't worry too much about it until something does happen. Honestly, for me, the waiting for the next OB to pop up is the worst part. I've only had 2 that I know for sure of, and I'm still new at all of this too. I think the most important part is to just take care of yourself physically and emotionally.

@luckycharms thank you that makes me feel a little better I know if sounds imitate to be worried about such petty things but I'm just trying to get myself back together even with simple little things like that and yes I agree that is definitely the worst part what was your second outbreak like compared to the 1st?

@Sab123 It's not petty at all! It's completely normal! I was the same way for a while too. I read all this stuff online and I was terrified. Until I found this forum and being able to connect with others that have this same thing and can relate to what I'm going thru. But my second was almost as bad as my first. It was in a completely different spot than the first one and that spot was way worse. My first was around my butt and the second was on my thigh. I don't know what they are like when it pops up in the same spot yet though so I don't know if they are always like that or not. Have you only had the one so far?

Hi, I have worn thongs in between outbreaks and been fine. I chose more seamless ones as i prefer that for my workouts. They don't scratch or itch. Maybe wear one size up for more comfort. I am bummed about the shaving though. I used to get brazilans before all this. Good luck!

I've been shaving regularly and wearing thongs but only occasionally...but I've been on suppressive therapy for a year since I found out...only for about a week when the motor in my car blew and while it was getting worked on did I not have my meds (someone left their valtrex in the center console of her car and didn't grab it ugh I was so mad at myself!!!!!) and through all that stress and no meds I think I had an outbreak? But it was a bump that didn't blister and I only had a small bit of itching :/ not sure what that means but that's the only sign of anything since my first ob in November of 2012

Im a newbie at this too but I just wanted to say I'm so glad I found this site and its so refreshing to be able to talk openly about this and just feel totally at ease and not judged!! You ladies are great and I wish you all the best. P.s my first and only o.b so far lasted 3 PAINFUL weeks!! And I totally understand the whole "walking on eggshells!" thing I feel the same way! Although everyday is getting a lil easier, the word "Herpes" itself is never far from my mind. Its only been a month since all this started for me so I'm sure it will get easier with time and as I start to figure out its triggers and warning signs, that will make it easier too! :) keep up the kindness, were sort of a team now and we gotta have each others backs! :)

(I know this is a girl's club in here, but I hope you don't mind that I just jump in and say I'm LOVING this awesome, supportive woman's group forming.) :D

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

In regards to thongs, I haven't tried wearing one since being diagnosed, same fears as most of you above. I love my granny panties anyways. I have read that full bottom cotton underwear is the best regardless of H or not. As with most women, I feel a lot sexier when I wear thongs, so I may give that a shot in a couple weeks. Still scared to do a lot of things. I know for me this first three weeks was: eat right, no caffeine, no alcohol, no nothing I have read that can cause me to break out (besides sex, couldn't resist that one). I have slowly incorporated things back in the last couple weeks. I ate boiled peanuts, but added a lysine pill to combat it just in case. I had coffee last Friday. Still haven't tried peanut butter, but God how I miss it. My point is, from what I have been doing is slowly incorporating things and see what happens.That is my advice, just try it out and see what happens. Scary, I know. But its better than going the rest of your life without those little things that warm your heart. :) blessings.

Taylormade, I couldn't agree more! I don't personally care for thongs, but don't like the granny's either, I just wish someone would create a more cotton like lace in a boy short! I have to say, I'm fairly new to the journey w/H, but OMG, I do NOT want to have to give up shaving! I knew better than to try to shave during an outbreak, but had not read it could trigger one :(. I REALLY hope that isn't true!!!

I am new to H too. I have shaved once a week since my initial outbreak and didn't break out! Be hopeful. I did have razor burn, but I have always had razor burn bad. And at first I did freak out when the bumps came. I was like oh my gah this is making me break out I knew it, I knew it. But then I realized it wasn't a breakout, just some razorburn and I watched it a couple days just to be on the safe side. So don't fret! I don't shave everyday mind you, but once a week hasn't done anything to me. Just use lots of shaving cream and a new razor each time, that's what I have done, and no breakout from shaving yet! Good luck, and blessings!

I have a confession....I am afraid to shave! my last OB was right before I had shaved thinking it was ingrown hairs and the itch was insane next thing was I had ulcers all over and open...like a hunderd coldsores okay it wasn't a hundred but it sure made me cry harder to see what they looked like and how they can give off so much pain.

so I haven't shaved..

since I can't see down there and holding the mirror was a study in futility, I had my husband take a picture of them. it was good to get him involved and it deepened his support for me when he was able to see fully what these sores did

it was pretty bad but my doctor assured me that she had seen much worse.

so the shaving thing is still pretty scary to even think of doing.

NexisLexis, what if....you shave just a small part? Like a test almost? During my initial outbreak I didn't have any bumps on my female parts, mine were more on the bottom like the cup of my butt but between the legs,(but I still shave back there). Sorry may be a little graphic. I don't know where yours are, but if you aren't broken out right now, why not try shaving just a small area where you are used to breaking out and just see? I was scared the first time I shaved because of what I had read too, but I just had to know whether it was going to trigger for me or not. It sounds like you had a painful experience since you shaved I am guessing after you had the outbreak?? Ouchies, and sorry to hear that. USE LOTS AND LOTS OF SHAVING CREAM AND CLEAN NEW RAZOR. Let the hairs soak (loosen up) so you aren't tugging on your skin as much. Don't go over the same spot a million times. Maybe testing an area could help ease you into shaving again or show you whether you will break out. I am sorry you are having a hard time with this. blessings. :)

And by the way, I know the feeling of seeing what they looked like. That was what made me cry the hardest during my outbreak when I would bathe and could feel them. I didn't look nor would let my best friend look even though she asked to see them. Like an out of sight out of mind thing, but everytime I washed and could feel them I would burst into tears. Once they were gone, I felt a little better. I understand how you feel and think it is great your husband is involved! Sounds like a good man. :)

I feel the same way I have avoided everything including sex it's been over 4 weeks and we finally tried to much and I was in so much pain I couldn't take it I'm all clear from on but I started bleeding i don't understand what's wrong with me it's so depressing I just want to go back to my normal life I was finally coming to terms and now this

I can't speak for the whole thong thing cuz i absolutely hate them lol. i like the boy shorts that show half the tail without being jammed up the crack lol. i just hate that eternal wedgie feeling. But i beleive it was juvia that told me wait until a week after ur outbreak clears because i beleive it spread to my bikini area right at the top of my thigh due to shaving. i do reuse my razors until they are dull so i been soaking them in boiling water after I'm done to cuz I'm parananoid about the spreadi.g to different areas now.

I'm visiting my mom, and she thinks Dr. Oz is a god! So today, when he suggested a sure fire way to avoid razor burn included a single blade razor, I had to walk away! If a man uses four and five blade razors on his face, why exactly would I use ONE blade on my....well...YEAH! HAD to laugh! My most recent "OB" (I put quotes because of ? surrounding my tests) is almost ccompletely clear, and I can't WAIT to shave! My dr said most important thing is not to skimp on using a new blade each time. I've decided to use cheaper razors everywhere else, and am also going to try the advice of @peachyogurtisawesome above and dip my fresh blade in boiling water after using it down under so I can feel safe using that blade elsewhere while it's sharp enough. That way, my frugal side is satisfied while still being sure to use a new blade each time where it's really important not to break skin.

Speaking of spreading, peach, would you have concerns about slow draining showers we share with family during OBs? Should I take special precautions if kids have anything open on their feet, toes, etc? My one child is on her feet constantly and had rubbed a blister from her boots...I felt nervous and cleaned the shower before she got up one morning because I was having an OB. Am I being paranoid?