• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

I'm Coming Out of the Herpes Closet....

Cicily

Hi!

Although, I have been following the (h) opportunity for a year now and living with herpes for 3 1/2 years, I finally decided to join the forum. I am very thankful for all of Adrial's support, encouragement and helping me change my perspective on what herpes means to me.

It has been a LONG journey, but I was so fortunate to speak with Adrial and I have made the decision to come out to EVERYONE. YEP. Many of my loved ones know, but I am ready to be a part of this change that Adrial is talking about. I love it and totally excited.

I have gone through a billion emotions, disclosures, relationships, dating, etc. Soon, I will be able to share on a blog I write that will be seen around the world. I am ready to jump out of this dark closet and join the world as me. :)

For the first time in my life, I am so excited to love me and accept me fully! I've never felt so free. I would love to learn more about all of you. It is so wonderful to find a community of individuals who understand my experience too.

Cicily

Well hey there, stranger! ;)

I'm so proud of you. For your courage and heart. For your enthusiasm. For being on the front lines of the movement to let go of shame. You are helping to create a world where we don't have to hide anything in order to feel loved.

I know that so many people watching what we recorded together will find so much solace and excitement in watching your "coming out" celebration. It felt so good to be with you in so much excitement, dropping the shame, dropping the fear! What a weight lifted! I'm still buzzing from it ... :)

And for anyone reading this who wants to watch that video, I'll send it out to the H Opp email list — http://eepurl.com/b4IPP — once I'm done editing it. She's going to be sharing it with her blog readers, too, so this is a really big step!

Cicily, I'm so, so happy for you allowing yourself to be more and more YOU. Ain't it grand? :)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

By the way, this is reminding me of this TED Talk:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-forum/discussion/1689/closets/p1

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

It is totally grand and I am still buzzing too. I appreciate you so much and so honored to call you a friend. :)

I cannot wait to see the final edit!!! I am so happy to be a part of this movement you founded. You are a trailblazer my friend.

Love the forums, I feel like I found a home.

Ah, creeeeeepyyyyyy. ;) Yeah, that's the thing. There's nothing inherently "bad" or "wrong" about keeping ourselves safe in our closets. They ARE cozy! Safe! They're comfortable! No chance of being judged/rejected/etc.! If I hide, nobody can find out the things that I judge about myself. And with every pro there's also a con: Being safe in our closets can also hold us back from connecting and sharing ourselves with people who are ready to love and accept us, regardless of what we might have. Closets can be suffocating. While we protect those parts of ourselves that might be judged, we're also cutting off the other parts of us that can be loved, too. They go hand in hand.

And this "coming out of your closet" process is nothing to force, either. It's something to feel out as you progress through your own healing process with herpes and the shame/stigma that's associated with it. Everyone has their own way to heal. For some, it's eventually to come way out of the closet and be totally public about it, like it ain't shit. For others, it's to keep it as their secret forever. And everything in between. And you won't know what it is for you until you go through it yourself and check in with yourself about what is best for you. Just remember that you have a choice.

Reminds me of a quote. (I'm a quote fiend.) ;)

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." — Anais Nin

Helpful resources:

Thanks Peachyogurtisawesome! I think Peachyogurtisawesome TOO! Lol.

I appreciate the support. I agree with Adrial. We each have our choices, perspectives and the path towards healing.

I'm pretty transparent about everything in my life at this point. After much consideration, praying and searching deep, I knew this was the next step for me.

:)

You go girl! I'm right there with you - just came out myself ... you are welcome to quote anything I said, or PM me for support, or whatever.

One at a time... we can change the way the public views something that is really just a pain in the - er - nether regions......

This is the link to my coming out post - it's public so feel free to pass it on to anyone who is struggling with this - with or without Herpes :)