• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Connection between herpes and onset of menopause?

Does anyone know if there could be a connection between contracting HSV-2 and the sudden onset of hot flashes and night sweats? I am 49 years old and have been showing very slight signs of menopause (nothing obvious) until I suffered a pretty bad first herpes outbreak and now sleeping through the night is pretty impossible due to night sweats and hot flashes are making my days miserable! Any research out there that someone has found? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

HI,

sorry I don't know if there is any research on that but from my experience when I couldn't sleep the whole night and I had to role in my bed from one sight to the other it sometimes have been trigger of getting an outbreak. I felt quit nervous the whole night and the next morning I saw a little red bump. For me there seems to be a connection it happened far to often that I could say it was only a random and get the hot flashes too.

Not that I have heard. Although initially when first getting herpes, your immune system is busy producing antibodies against herpes, so it may be linked in an indirect way there. But herpes by no means causes hot flashes/night sweats. It's probably just your body getting used to the new virus. Have you asked your doctor about this? That would be the main point of contact for this kind of question. :)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Yes, it's quite normal to have your body react with flu-like symptoms. (It is a new virus, after all, which the flu is, too.) So night sweats and everything else involved in having a fever are all par for the course in the first few rounds of your body getting used to carrying this new virus.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

I had intense itching beforehand, and I think I had some uti type symptoms but I don't really recall paying much attention. I am a student, so feeling tired isn't anything new, and i get sick feelings if I haven't had enough sleep.

I did however, during the outbreak have shooting pains in my right toes and calf, which makes sense because my outbreak was on my right side.

I don't recall getting night sweats but I do recall my skin being sensitive and achy and being able to sleep for hours and hours.

• 3 years later...

I've totally experienced this. I was infected in July of 2015. By mid-August I was into full-on hormonal flux and began having hot flashes and night sweats. I got very sick from this hormonal disruption. I would swing from post-menopausal hormone levels, to peri, to post, to peri. Now, two years later I'm still suffering and wondering about the timing of the infection and the onset of this problem. I was 39 when this all started.

Anyway, I'm a new user here seeking support. Specifically, whether there is a relationship between hormone disturbance and HSV. I'd love to hear more experiences.

Thank you :)

@lenticular I have never seen anything to suggest HSV influences menopause. However, hormonal fluctuations can be a trigger for HSV symptoms. Among women who experience recurring symptoms, many notice a pattern in relation to their cycles with symptoms more likely to occur when hormones fall just before menstruation. I would guess the types of hormonal swings that occur in perimenopause could be similarly tied to recurrences for women who get them, but I don't know for sure. If so, I would also expect symptoms triggered by hormone fluctuations to subside after menopause is reached and hormone levels stabilize.