• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Oral sex with herpes ... Can it happen?

That sounds like a good question to ask your OB about. I don't have the professional knowledge a doctor would have, but if you both have the same type, him orally, you genitally, it is not like you two can get it twice in the same spot. He can still get it genitally and you can still get it orally though. Once again, this is just my understanding. I would suggest doing research and asking your doctor before listening to me. :)

Absolutely oral sex can happen! And like Juvia said, if he goes down on you, your situation is going to stay the same ... he'll still have herpes on his mouth and you'll still have it on your genitals. And if you go down on him, you don't have it on your mouth (as far as you know), so you wouldn't be spreading it to his genitals. But having sex with him can possibly spread your genital HSV-1 to his genitals (which would be quite difficult to do if all the precautions are taken since genital HSV-1 sheds much less than genital HSV-2. It's all site specific. :) Make sense?

PS - over 50% of all new genital herpes cases are from a person who has cold sores orally (HSV-1) giving oral sex to their partner.

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Good. Not that you're worried. But good that you care. Underneath all this worry is that you care about your partner and their health. Let them know that you care about them and that's why you're taking whatever precautions are necessary to then be able to let go and ENJOY your sex and sexuality with him. :)

My motto I say time and time again on these boards: Be careful, but don't be paranoid. Being cared for during sex feels a whole lot better than having paranoid sex. Caring is heart-centered; paranoia is in the head. Sex is all about being in the body, feeling your body with his body. Paranoia doesn't allow that to happen. Allow your care for this person to be transmitted, not herpes. ;)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Yea I can definitely say paranoia takes over especially in the heat of the moment. I don't know if that feeling will last forever but I sure hope not. I mean, I'm ALWAYS gonna worry he's gonna get this, but I'd like to have the thought not override and ruin the mood EVERYTIME. We were getting intimate today and stopped because I started crying out of nowhere. It may be because I'm still new to all of this though like I said.

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm more worried to give this to him in his genitals than the fact that I have this to be honest. It's sorta sunk in already for me. Still have my ups and downs but usually my downs are because I don't want him to have this too" BC this stole the words out of my mouth!!! lol my partner doesn't understand. shoot no one understands. I'd rather suffer alone.

Here's your answer! (And it's a good one!)

http://herpeslife.com/spreading-genital-herpes-hsv2-from-oral-sex/

Helpful resources:

Just four months ago, I wanted to DIE! Now I can not only talk about this virus, but I'm able to hold my head up without shame! What a gift! I didn't believe you, ya know?! Now here I am with mutual interest, attraction, and respect between myself and a potential partner who is not only functioning as an independent and whole person, but one who also respects my own need to be that for myself. I just can't thank you enough for this site! Please forgive if this wasn't a good thread to post this on.

Yes, you can with a slight risk. There is a 1% risk of getting oral HSV-2. If she has genital HSV-1, then there's a much, much higher risk of getting oral HSV-1, but that's what 80% of Americans have anyway on their mouths. They're called "cold sores." ;) (Of course — goes without saying — avoid contact when there is an actual active herpes outbreak.)

Read the link above for more info on that.

Helpful resources:

Well, to put it in perspective for you, there is a 2% chance that you will die in a car accident every time you're in an automobile. So you better not ever get in a car, either. ;)

Helpful resources:

Yellar: Tell you what - keep getting informed - absorb the info and the statistics (Adrial's Car statistic is one of my favorites too.... so you have twice the chance of dying in your car that you have of getting HSV1 from her....). Talk with your GF. If she really, really knows when she is about to get an outbreak she can greatly reduce the risk that you will get it. Maybe you can work out some kind of way to make that work - and don't do oral if you have nicked yourself shaving... that is the kind of thing I am sure helps transfer the virus in this kind of situation. Any open wound will greatly increase your risk of transferring herpes...

I have to say if I was already in a committed relationship and the guy suddenly stopped doing oral on me because of this, it would put a kink in things ... I mean, I would understand, but what a disappointment to lose something that is that enjoyable :(

Peace :)