• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Herpes medication? Genital HSV-1? How to keep herpes outbreaks clean & dry?

Hi everyone, my name is Kayla from New York. I'm 19 yrs old and a college student. I just found out this past Monday that I have genital herpes. I do have a bf who I have been with for 4 years now. He has always gotten a cold sore on his mouth ever since I can remember and unfortunately I now have it on my genitals. He knows, he was there with me at my gynocologist appointment. He says this changes nothing between us, he still wants to have kids and look for an apartment. I am thankful for this. I know that having this doesn't stop me from having kids. However, there are SO many questions I have. To start off, I know that there are two types of herpes viruses, type 1 and type 2. I know that type 1 is typically oral herpes and type 2 is genital. Now my bf has type 1, only getting one cold sore on his mouth every so often. So it makes sense to me that he could've only given me type 1 instead of type 2, but I have genital herpes. My question is is it possible to have genital herpes with HSV type 1? I'm just confused on that matter.

Another question I have is about my medication. I am taking Famvir currently 3 times a day and I have to take it for 7 days. I've been having my first herpes outbreak for 12 days now and started my medication Monday. My question is if I can start taking this medication daily instead of taking it when I have an outbreak only, and if I do, will my body become immune to it and stop working? Also, I've noticed a few bumps on my throat that I think might also be herpes. In the meantime of my dr appt to have this checked, will my medication used for my genital herpes work for oral herpes as well if that is what it is?

My next and last series of questions deals with my outbreaks. I was told that I should keep the area dry in order for it to heal. However, I am now on my period and what I am worried about is if my medication will stop working for my outbreak because of this? Also when I go to the bathroom my urine burns my outbreak and I feel like they will never heal, and I worry I'm just going to have a constant outbreak. Can someone tell me how I can best take care of this? Wiping is painful I can only pat the area dry as best as I can. I just need help. Also I have swelling of my lymph nodes in my groin area, I was told this is pretty normal for people with herpes but that it eventually goes away. I'm not sure if it happens to any of you guys but if so, what can I do to ease the pain a little? Both for the swelling ad the outbreak itself?

Please I need as much info and support as possible. I'm lost and confused and scared and I'm not sure what to do. But I think hearing from people who have experience and can help me out through this will br beneficial and help ease my mind and realize my life isn't over because of this. I value what anyone has to say and am looking forward to responses!

Hey Kayla!

Welcome to the forums!

Here are answers to your questions:

1. Genital HSV-1? Absolutely. 50% of all new genital herpes cases are due to partners giving oral sex with a cold sore and not knowing that it can be passed to the genitals.

http://herpeslife.com/genital-hsv-1-herpes-and-oral-sex/

http://herpeslife.com/hsv-1-hsv-2-types-of-herpes/

2. Read this article on herpes and medication first:

http://herpeslife.com/herpes-medication/

The medication won't wear off if you continue to take it, but it is bad for your liver (just like any medication), so if you don't need to take it, don't. The only reason you do now is to protect your boyfriend from getting his own HSV-1 on his genitals (from his mouth to your genitals to your genitals — the roving herpes!). And genital HSV-1 has the lowest % of viral shedding. Condoms lessen the risk of passing herpes by around 50% and medications another 50%. Check out these handouts for more on that:

http://bit.ly/h-opp-diagnosis-handout

http://bit.ly/h-opp-disclosure-handout

... and I've never heard of throat herpes, but it could be. :) Only way to know for sure is to get it cultured at the doc's office with a swab. But HSV-1 prefers the moistness of right around the mouth area, so it rarely strays from there.

I don't have one of them vaginas, but I have heard plenty of women (who have vaginas) on these forums talk about what works for them in these times of outbreaks and peeing. Here's the information I've gleaned in order to keep your lady parts clean and dry ...

1. It helps to pour tepid water over it as you pee. And don't wipe, dab. :)

2. Use a 1/2 water, 1/2 hydrogen peroxide mixture to clean the outbreak

3. Put tea tree oil (an antiseptic) on the outbreak afterwards using a Q-tip, which helps to disinfect and dry

4. Use a hairdryer to dry the area

Any other questions, please ask! We're all here for you!

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

Thank you for this information! I will try out these methods and see what works for me. Hopefully this outbreak goes away soon because it started off as painful but now it is more annoying than anything. Will my view on this get better over time? I find myself thinking of me as gross and a disappointment and I don't want to feel this way forever.

The one thing that is a guarantee is that things change. Your perspective will, too, if you let it. I promise. Just keep noticing the thoughts you think and how you treat yourself. That's key. Treat yourself with compassion and acceptance. That's the healing salve you need right now. There's nothing wrong with you. You have a simple skin rash that unfortunately has a stigma attached to it. That's it. :)

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources:

What are yours like if you don't mind me asking. I thought i had a swollen lymp node on the left sidevof my vagina on the outer part if the inner labia. i get some bumps that look like in gown hairs on the outside where hair grows. But I'm beginning to think its not a swollen lymp node but a coldsore on the inside as it doesn't get as big as it used to. And that's the only one on the inside. it doesn't hurt to pee or wipe. my hygiene products do irritate down there a little. but for mostvpart it looks like it attacks where my pubic hair would grow. And how long should i wait before shaving down there again after an outbreak is iver with. and can u spread it to other areas with shaving. i believe so cuz i also have some on my very high upper thigh that pop up now.

Before I am about to have an outbreak, my lymph nodes under my jaw and by my hip bones (best way I can describe it) swell up and ache continually. Before that happens though, I usually find I get headaches typical over-the-counter pain relievers can't get rid of and body aches. And, of course the tingling.

Do the bumps hurt that you get where your hair follicles are? I just know, that when I have an outbreak, they look like when I had the chicken pox, but just a few of them, and it hurts, it really does! It doesn't stop hurting, ointments my doctor has prescribed helps alleviate some of the pain, but when I have an outbreak, it is just very uncomfortable. Your bumps near your upper thigh may just be ingrown hairs, I have quit shaving the upper area and switched to using wax strips. Shaving can cause ingrown hairs to appear more frequently, but waxing or plucking the root out can help prevent that from happening. It doesn't hurt as bad as you may think, and the effects last longer (your hair takes longer to grow in and over time even grows in less thick). NEVER wax the lips or the area where skin cannot be easily pulled tight. I still shave that part.

If you want, go to Wal-Mart or Walgreens or any store like that and pick up some wax strips (I use the Nair Brand- the small 'facial' ones- the smaller the area you apply wax, the more control you get and the less pain you feel) and test that out in small areas first to see if that helps with the bumps that you are getting.

Also, ask your doctor about the bumps if you are worried. I ask my doctor about EVERYTHING that worries me. I am not a doctor, and can only give answers based on experience and my understanding, which is not a professional understanding.

And, when I have an outbreak I keep razors and wax and all of that away from that area. Try not to touch it too much down there. And always wash your hands with soap after you do have contact. Just let it do its thing until it goes away. I usually wait about a week after the signs of an outbreak have passed to shave again down there.

I have swelling by my pubic bone kind of in the crease of my legs on both sides. They usually only hurt when I actually touch them but lately I've noticed that if I walk around a bunch they start to hurt without touching them. I'm not sure about the shaving question cuz I'm not even done with my first outbreak ( going on 2 weeks!). But I do believe you can spread it to other areas especially if you have a cut or something that the virus can sneak its way into.

Ok. i wasn't sure how long i should wait after the oubreak was over. i used ti use veet hair remover instead of shaving but now that irritates my skin really bad down there. I know one on my thigh for sure is a cold sore cuz it hurts also the few that are on my upper groin area. They get angry red and are sensitive to touch as well. i just don't want to think the outbreaks over and then while shaving be sheding the virus unwittingly. so a week is good? thanks juvia. :)

You can find it at Walgreens or CVS, it is not a behind the counter drug, it is a vitamin/supplement. The pill form usually is about $10.00 a bottle, they have a sale going on at Walgreens Online right now, two bottles for $10.00. It also comes in a ointment form, which I like as well, which you can find for around $8.00.

I take the 1,000mg

• 3 weeks later...

One of the best things I have ever used is Ammonium Alum powder - there are several kinds of Alum powder so make sure you get this one. The only brand I could find in powder form states it's for foot odor, but I know it's the same as what they use in the natural deodorants.

My mother learned about this when I was a small child. I used to have outbreaks from the time I was about 3 at least twice a year. My whole chin would be covered and I'd get a high fever and pass out for a day. One time we were camping when it happened ... my mother typically used Campho-phenique on the sores with limited success. As we were camping, she did not have the CP with us - she went into a local Pharmacy and asked for it but they didn't have it. She showed them the sores and the Pharmacist told her to use the Ammonium Alum. It helped to clear it up much faster than anything else she used on me.

She would dissolve a small amount in some water and bathe the sores with it. That did seem to help - but I found once I got the HSV-2 in the genitals (yeah, I hit the jackpot!) that the warm, moist area just exacerbated the issue and it didn't have the same effect. So I started putting in on neat on the sores. (Warning, it hurts like a Mo-Fo!!!) Bingo! Yes, painful at the time but the length of the breakout would be greatly reduced. This was before the time of anti-virals so this was a really big thing for me when my outbreaks could last for WEEKS... ugh....

Now, as soon as I feel it coming up, I pop an anti-viral and dab the alum on the area. I can usually cut an outbreak down to 3 days and noone ever knows unless I tell them because it barely gets beyond a small pimple sized scab.

And it lasts FOREVER. Ammonium Alum doesn't "go off". You use so little that a bottle can last decades. Keep a little in a snack sized baggie or small jar for emergencies.

Hope that helps :)

I was kinda in the same situation as yourself , I have gentital herpes but type two as well ,but I'm allergic to the medicine the doctors gave me , so I've been taking echinacea so help my immune system 3 times a day , I also use nutriboitic skin ointment that I dap on my outbreak , I also use these cleansing wipes that you can use when I use the bathroom they feel good when you wipe , also I wear like cotton underwear and baggy bottoms whenever I can , hope some of that information helped :)

• 11 months later...

As a nurse that was just diagnosed with herpes, I would like to put a disclaimer in here about using echinacea on a regular basis. If you use it intermittently, it will boost your immune system. It is my understanding however that you don't want to take it everyday because your body does not recognize the need to produce the parts of your immune system that it usually helps boost. Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...