• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Medication only when we are going to have sex

Hi friends,

Theoretically we have to take the medication daily.

In my case, it's 400mg in the morning and 400mg in the night (acyclovir).

However I find this is too much. I would prefer not to put that many medication in my body, let alone doing it for life...

I feel confident my outbreaks are quite under control because of nutrition and supplements, something that I pursuit religiously.

So my question is: would it be OK to take the medication only when I'm going to have sex? For example, the day BEFORE and the "sex day" itself?

That way I could cut a lot of unwanted pills in my body.

Many thanks for your ideas and suggestions,

I have zero knowledge of how the medicine works. That would be a good question for a doctor or a pharmacist.

However, I suspect that it takes time for the medicine to build up in your body and then for your immune system to respond, and then to get the virus under control.

Possibly days, possibly weeks or months. I have no clue.

Managing symptoms and balancing side effects is an important and personal choice.

Whatever you do, disclose to your partner and if you choose to only take medicine occasionally, make sure your partner lnows that is not usual, and not how it is prescribed.

Consent is what matters in this situation. Telling your partner that you do not take medicine as prescribed is absolutely vital.

They must be aware of risk, and they must understand the implications.

Hey Happyman (great screen name)! Here it is as an mp3 file if the m4a isn't working on your audio player:

https://app.box.com/s/giexkukxan4uyg07w7bj6qu1kzk3q6cn

This content is for informational purposes only. This information does not constitute medical advice or diagnosis. I'm not a medical professional, so please take this as friendly peer support. 

Helpful resources: