• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Disclosure brings new questions.... anyone with experience?

So I have gHSV2. Last night I disclosed to a new guy I've been seeing. The sexual tension is high so it was necessary before becoming intimate which I could see being very soon.. Turns out he has oral HSV1, has had cold sores his whole life. While I answered his questions the best I could. .. I couldn't answer the ones about transmission with someone who already has HSV1 orally. From what I've read is that it is less likely, the antibodies for one work against the other as all. I want to protect him from getting genital HSV2 but I also want to protect myself. I don't want cold sores. We're both active, fit, healthy people. Neither of us have any medical conditions aside from this. I am on daily suppressive therapy. He's not though. Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation, knowledge, or advice to pass on? Thank you

I read somewhere that if you have hvs2 you can not get hvs1. However, the same is not true the other way around. He can get hvs2 from you. Having said that, you are on anti viral and if you use condoms, the risk is quite low female to male.....with no ob. Hopefully someone else will have a more definite answer

The fact is that you can get both on any part of your body that is exposed to the virus.

Likelihood of transmission and infection might change based on circumstances, but the risk is never zero.

You can both take suppression medicine, use condoms,, and you can abstain during an outbreak. But there wil be some degree of risk no matter what.

I only state it so harshly because misinformation can lead to some terrible heartbreak.

Talk to your doctor about minimizing risk so that you can both get back to having fun without setting yourselves up for some major surprises.