• Want to be a part of a supportive community? Join the H Opp community for free.

Welcome to the Herpes Opportunity Support Forum! We are a supportive and positive group to help you discover and live your Opportunity. Together, we can shed the shame and embrace vulnerability and true connection. Because who you are is more important than what you have. Get your free e-book and handouts here: https://www.herpesopportunity.com/lp/ebook

Positive for genital type 1

I never thought I would be here telling strangers on the internet that I have herpes, but here I am. I got my results back today, positive for type 1. I felt a little relieved since everything I’ve read made it seem like type one genitally doesn’t cause as many outbreaks. Last week when the doctor suggested it might be herpes, I cried for three days. I knew it had to be herpes and probably type 2. I have gotten to a place where I’ve accepted it, although I’m sure my feelings will fluctuate about it when I have to tell a potential partner. I feel like it has helped me realize the situation I was in before wasn’t good for me and I should be more careful and more picky about who I am with. That being said, I am still looking for advice or general knowledge from people who also have type 1 genitally. Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the community, sorry you joined the club!

I was diagnosed with ghsv-1 about seven months ago.

Try not to get too anxious or depressed about the future, because it's going to be fine.

The biggest issue for me was learning to respect and appreciate myself again. I found it was helpful for me to keep doing the things I used to do and keep working toward goals I always had been chasing. It gave me the reassurance that I was still me, still capable of doing great things. It also helped me to seek opportunities to help other people. That made me feel like I was still worth other people's time.

You won't feel awesome every day, and some days will be harder than others. But you will get to feel like yourself again. Sooner if you really identify what is getting you down and engage it head on.

Don't let fear and doubt make decisions for you. Do things you enjoy, be good to other people.

Be sure to disclose before getting physical with anyone.

If you do that stuff, you'll be able to feel like yourself, regain your self respect, and enjoy dating again.

Good luck!

And if you find yourself struggling with negative thoughts, or you can't seem to steer your train of thought toward positive things, reach out. We will be here to listen and help you get things straight.